Monday, June 11, 2012

My First Science Lesson

I must confess: I don't like science. It was always my least favorite subject throughout school and once I started my education courses in college, I avoided having to create any science lessons (I ended up having to create some eventually, but believe me, they were not my finest work). I felt the same way about math until last summer when I vowed to become a better math teacher. I sat down with our math curriculum, looked over it and decided how I needed to teach it better and how I needed to design my math centers. Once the children came, I observed what they were struggling with and created center activities for those skills. WOW! Did our math abilities ever improve! I was so happy with how many math skills my kids learned. And I feel that my concentration on this subject had a little something to do with this great feat. Not only did the kids learn more, but I could tell that they really enjoyed math more. Now, I actually enjoy teaching math---something I never thought would happen. I've decided that I'm going to have the same attitude about science this year. I've just finished my first science lesson and I gotta say, I'm enjoying the content more than I thought I would. I even created my first emergent reader for this lesson packet, which I'm super excited about. :) Click the picture below to check it out.


***First three to comment get a free copy. 
***To the first three commenters on the Curious George Fry Phrases, I promise I'll send your free copies! 

28 comments:

  1. Oh this looks awesome! Love it!

    asponn@evdio.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks awesome! I hear ya, science was my least favorite subject to teach too..but the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks awesome! Good for you for taking on something you don't really like!

    Kideducator@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way! I feel like Science could be so fun it just always seems to take a back burner to everything. Looks like a cool unit
    eheynach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog and the Science Lesson looks GREAT! I would love for you to check out my blog if you get a chance!

    heather.byers@saintpaulschool.net

    The Busy Busy Hive

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am going to do better at teaching science this year...excited for your unit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kinda late but love this and all your stuff!!!

    Ashley.e.thurston@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah for me!
    It is a beautiful unit! I LOVE science but wish that I had more time to teach it.

    Lori@
    bee-the-change.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope I am one of the first three! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super cute! I need to create some more science lessons for my class. I really didn't live science till I had an awesome professor who taught Teaching Science in the Elementary School! She made science rock!

    Brittany
    Secondgradesweets.blogspot.com
    Kielarbn@pba.edu

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting!!! I feel the same way you do about Science. Your unit looks great! :)

    Nicole
    nherzog26@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. cute! as always :)
    jenross1018@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I totally understand! Science is not my thing either! Your preview looks great!

    rachel.turnage14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would love to have this!
    Ashleygangloff@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am not a fan of teaching science either!! I am trying very hard to learn to love it! Thank you for creating this unit. It looks awesome! I would love to see more. jmurdock@amherst.k12.va.us

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks adorable!
    April
    ajohnson45039@yahoo.com
    Johnson's Jungle

    ReplyDelete
  18. SO adorable I love you new unit! Saw your store on TpT, so cute!

    stephaniebarclay1@yahoo.com

    :)Steph
    kindergartensparkle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so glad someone is doing science resources!! We need them!! Thank you so much!! :)

    Ana
    ana.gonzalez@tcu.edu

    ReplyDelete
  20. This pack looks awesome!
    I love teaching Science, just never enough time =)
    Jennifer
    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aww missed it, but it looks great!! I'm not a huge fan of science, but I love seeing great science lessons pop up, because they are hard to come by! :) Great job!

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love science... It looks great!!!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so glad to see this! I need all the science ideas I can get. Science is hard for me to teach too. Not sure why I don't like it as much as other subjects.
    Jane
    rsmiramo@smsd.org

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome ideas!
    Jane
    rsmiramo@smds.org

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great idea! Look forward to seeing more of your science units!

    ReplyDelete
  26. please send me a copy.. i would like to have those worksheets :) thank you so much..hoping for a positive response..

    jollycastro14@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete